Industrial 2 Skilled Operative, Underground Worker
The primary aim of Rivers, as the statutory drainage authority, is to manage flood risk to facilitate the social, economic and environmental development of Northern Ireland and in doing so implement the requirements of the EU Floods Directive. For further information please refer to the Candidate Information Booklet..
- Entering into confined spaces such as culverts and manholes wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment which includes helmet, harness, breathing apparatus, gas detectors etc.
- Works associated with the maintenance of watercourses including the removal of debris from open and culverted watercourses and grilles, bush and grass cutting, fencing, pipe laying, concreting and assisting in minor construction works.
- Implementation of all health and safety measures as per the Department's health and safety management system.
- The undertaking of training (including the essential need for underground training), to enhance knowledge, skill, safety, ability and efficiency of key work activities.
- Flood emergency response as and when required, including response outside normal working hours.
- Driving of Departmental vehicles in Northern Ireland.
Skills and Qualifications
- EC1 A minimum of 1 years' experience gained in the last 5 years in drainage and associated works to include at least 5 of the following: pipe laying, shuttering, fencing, trench supports, backfilling, concreting, block laying and flagging/kerbing.
- AND EC2 A full valid driving licence which permits the licence holder to drive in Northern Ireland.
- AND EC3 A permanent residence within 20 miles travelling distance by public road to the geographical location specific to the post, as measured by RAC Route Planner from full postcode to full postcode via the 'shortest route' selection on the website
- EC3 (continued) This is to enable DfI, Rivers to meet the Department's statutory goal and its own objectives to effectively deliver services to customers, particularly in respect of response to flooding emergencies.
- EC3 (continued .. ) The geographical locations for these posts is as follows: Newry - BT34 1QH Lisburn - BT27 5QB Newtownabbey - BT36 7DH
Work time: Monday to Thursday 8:00am - 4:40pm , Friday 8:00am - 1:15pm. NICS Application form only, Vacancy closing date Friday 7th October at 12noon. Applications from females, young people (people under the age of 35), people with a disability and people from minority ethnic communities are particularly welcomed for this post. The Northern Ireland Civil Service is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All applications for employment are considered strictly on the basis of merit.
Visit the recruitment service website www.nicsrecruitment.org.uk (Please quote reference number: IRC282755)
- Vacancy ID
- Job ref.
- Job Sector
- Public Sector
- All of Northern Ireland
- Posts are available within Newry, Lisburn and Newtownabbey
- The weekly salary range is £431.40 to £458.91 (under review).
- No. vacancies
- Contract Type
- Weekly hours
- Published date
- Closing date