Cancer Lifeline Charity Shop Manager
Cancer LifelineEmployer Location: ANTRIM
Phone Number: 02890351999
CANCER LIFELINE - CHARITY SHOP MANAGER OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY Cancer Lifeline wishes to employ a Shop Manager to grow and diversify our charity shop model to maximise its potential for sustainable income generation and development of our work in supporting people and families affected by cancer. The post holder will take overall responsibility for the effective management and development of Cancer Lifeline’s Charity shop reporting directly to Cancer Lifeline’s Development Manager and indirectly to a shop Management Subgroup. JOB PURPOSE To maximise the profit generation from our retail operation. Be accountable for the effective management of staff, volunteers, stock and administration. To motivate and train staff and volunteers to a high standard, creating a team spirit in the shop. To deliver excellent customer service and present a professional image to staff, volunteers and customers at all times, reflecting the image and reputation of Cancer Lifeline. KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS Development Manager Shop management subgroup Cancer Lifeline management committee Finance Governance Support Worker Cancer Lifeline Development staff Shop staff and volunteers .
- Sales and profit.
- Maximise the sales of donated goods to achieve agreed sales budgets.
- Develop and promote new working practices and technological developments to maximise sales eg online sales, use of social media, website development etc.
- Develop, manage and process Gift Aid.
- Overseeing the promotion of donor sign-ups for Gift Aid and input all gift aid donors personal details to ensure data protection and accuracy.
- Regularly review high street and other charity retailers to ensure the shop remains at the forefront of the local market.
- Maximise the amount of quality donated goods through shop driven initiatives to ensure adequate stock levels.
- Ensure that appropriate systems and procedures are updated and maintained so that all donated goods are stored, sorted, dated, priced and prepared for display, ensuring that the products for sale are safe and fit for purpose.
- Ensure a high standard of presentation, display and rotation of stock.
- Ensure maximum income is generated from sales through an effecting pricing approach.
- Manage efficient and regular upcycling, recycling and refuse systems to ensure efficient use of space in the shop.
- Ensure an efficient and organised storeroom system is in place for the store and for the transfer of goods to the shop premises. Keep stock areas organised, uncluttered and promote safe working practices.
- Ensure a high standard of merchandising and visual display, in the shop.
- Ensure that the shop, store and other facilities are clean, tidy and kept safe at all times.
- Promote the highest possible standards of service whilst dealing with customers and donors in order to uphold Cancer Lifeline's reputation.
- Ensure that the shop's opening / closing routines are carried out appropriately with regards to agreed opening / closing times, ensuring that any variations to this schedule are agreed by the shop management subgroup.
- Promote positivity and teamwork throughout all areas of work.
- Ensure the information point giving details of Cancer Lifeline's support services is updated and maintained to promote a positive image of Cancer Lifeline's work in supporting those affected by cancer.
- Support, supervision and management of all shop staff.
- Recruit and manage sufficient volunteers to enable the shop to run efficiently
- Maintain regular communication with volunteers and staff to inform motivate and drive performance
- Set up and implement training for both staff and volunteers
- Ensure the shop is kept adequately staffed through an effective rota system to maintain levels of service and trading at all times
- Ensure that tasks are delegated to staff/volunteers in accordance with their training and abilities
- Foster and promote the values of the charity and the organisations expectations of behaviours and attitudes from all staff and volunteers having regard for the reputation of the charity
- To be responsible for dealing with formal complaints and resolving internal and external issues relating to customer service, customer care and staffing relationships in the shop with the support of the shop management subgroup
- To be responsible for the financial performance of the shop
- To take full responsibility for the shops administration, accounting procedures and till operations as directed by Cancer Lifeline's Financial Governance Support Worker
- To address and report any financial irregularities that may arise in the shop
- To supervise and audit Gift Aid declarations and ensure the sale of gift aid stock is conducted within the HMRC guidelines and in accordance with organisational procedures
- Provide a safe environment that protects all staff, volunteers and the public To be responsible for ensuring compliance with all aspects of Health and Safety legislation and risk management in the shop store and use of any vehicles
- To ensure that all staff and volunteers are trained in all aspects of Health and Safety To ensure completion of all relevant Health and Safety/risk assessment checks
- Ensure that guidelines from Trading Standards are followed to guarantee the integrity of stock sold Ensure that the safety standards promoted by Environmental Health Officers are practiced fully
- Report maintenance and health and safety issues as appropriate, after firstly reviewing and attempting to make good simple defects at shop level
- PREMISES AND SECURITY
- To be the main key holder of the shop and store premises
- Ensure that the shop and store are always physically and operationally secure by carrying out stringent end of day lock up routines
- To observe equality of opportunity in all areas of the day-to-day work for which the post-holder has responsibility To attend bimonthly shop management meetings to report on operational and financial performance
- To undertake training as requested by the Charity Shop management subgroup To undertake any other duties which may from time to time be requested by the shop management subgroup which are commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the post
- This job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and is not intended to be rigid and definitive but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.
- Other duties of a similar nature and appropriate to the role may be assigned from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications
- One years management / supervisory experience in a retails sales environment
- Experience of working within a retail environment and achieving income and expenditure budgets
- Experience of managing staff / volunteers
- Strong and positive leadership skills including the ability to motivate and to delegate
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to prioritise and manage workload, multi-take and work to deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure using own initiative as required
- Strong I.T skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet) and use of social media platforms to enhance sales opportunities
- Must be prepared to work Saturday's when required
- Gift Aid experience
- An understanding of culture within charity shops
- Experiencing of leading and developing teams of volunteers
- Experience in scheduling collections, deliveries and planning logistics
Work Time: 9am - 5pm. Cancer Lifeline are recruiting a Full-time (37.5hrs) Shop Manager Post for our organisation’s Charity Shop in King Street, Belfast City Centre for an initial 3-year fixed term contract. Salary scale (£21,189 - £25,000) negotiable depending on experience. Closing date for all applications is: Tuesday 7th February 2023 (12.00pm) Interviews will be held on: Monday 20th February 2023 Cancer Lifeline is a community led cancer support organisation. We offer a range of support services to cancer patients and their family members in the Greater North Belfast Area. Cancer Lifeline has been running a charity shop for the past 15 years. The shop has been managed by an experienced volunteer to date. We are now recruiting a full-time Shop Manager to take forward this successful retail Initiative. Currently the shop sells furniture and clothing. This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop your career in retail. The current volunteer Shop Manager will be available in the initial probationary period for ongoing support and guidance. So, if you have a creative flair and visual merchandising experience combined with ambition, good organisational and communication skills then this opportunity could be the one for you.
Please forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, PLUS an accompanying letter to explain in detail how you meet the essential criteria listed in the Job Specification either by post to Cancer Lifeline, 44 Alliance Avenue, Belfast, BT14 7PJ, 02890351999 or Email email@example.com (Please note both of the above must be submitted).
- Vacancy ID
- Job ref.
- CLLSM A1
- Job Sector
- General Management
- 56 King Street Belfast
- Salary Scale (£21,189 - £25,000) negotiable depending on experience
- No. vacancies
- Contract Type
- Weekly hours
- Published date
- Closing date