Civilian Detention Officer
The Civilian Detention Officer’s (CDO) primary purpose is to assist the Custody Sergeant in the effective and efficient detention and administration of pre and post charge detained persons in police custody. The CDO will assist in ensuring the welfare and safety of detained persons and Custody staff. In doing so, the role holder will often be required to exercise reasonable force and restraint, in what is a physically demanding environment..
- Liaise, as required, with authorised contacts such as solicitors, doctors, custody visitors, appropriate adults, interpreters and relatives of detainees and notify the Custody Officer.
- Conduct/direct searches of detained persons where authorised, and ensure all property is correctly recorded.
- Complete electronic records relating to detention/charge/release of detained persons as directed.
- Assist in prisoner processes, in line with procedures outlined in the Police and Criminal Evidence Northern Ireland Order 1989 (PACE), the Terrorism Act 2000, the Crime Sentences Act and NPCC Authorised Professional Practices.
- Visit detained persons as required by PACE/other relevant legislation and policies to ensure that their welfare is maintained and notify the Custody Officer/Inspector if there is any change in the condition/demeanour of a detained person.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work under pressure with a strong focus on delivering and improving customer services.
- Conflict resolution skill.
- Organisational skills including the ability to manage and prioritise work.
- Decision making and problem solving skills.
- Resilience when dealing with difficult situations demonstrating courtesy, fairness and respect to a diverse range of customers.
Work Time: 12 hour shifts working 4 on and 4 off. Shift patterns vary by location and are subject to review. Please note the weekly hours exceed the 48 plus hour Working Time Directive and the successful applicant may be required to sign an "opt-out" form.
- Vacancy ID
- Job ref.
- Job Sector
- Public Sector
- Derry or Londonderry
- Derry/Londonderry, Waterside
- £22,519 - £23,955 per annum
- No. vacancies
- Contract Type
- Weekly hours
- Published date
- Closing date