Unit Catering Supervisor
To be responsible for the efficient and effective delivery of a catering service. Team participation is essential to provide an efficient hygienic service, to achieve customer satisfaction and to promote sales within the unit(s)..
- Service Delivery/Operational Issues
- Execute skilled cooking activities connected to the full range of menu provision for example preparation of menus, portion control, special dietary meals and function catering where appropriate.
- Organise and supervise food service, to include all aspects, service points and the transportation of meals.
- Actively promote the service through parents, principals and customers to increase the uptake of meals.
- Ensure that the kitchen and dining centres, if applicable, meet current standards of food safety legislation.
- Ensure all catering practice complies with appropriate Health and Safety Legislation.
- Responsible for securing the unit.
- Ensure effective communication links with the school on all aspects of service delivery.
- Ensure effective communication at all levels through regular staff meetings.
- Supervise and direct other employees including allocating duties and work rotas. Where employed at a transporting kitchen, duties also incorporate the work routine of the Catering Assistants and the operational issues of dining centres.
- Actively participate in the implementation of all policies relating to staff issues e.g. managing attendance, disciplinary and grievance.
- Provide induction and on-going staff training.
- Financial, complete clerical duties associated with the efficient running of the kitchen, including cash handling.
- Responsible for the managing of all resources to include food, labour, overheads and equipment.
- All duties must be carried out to comply with
- (a) Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments and Regulations and other Legal requirements. (b) Codes of Practice
- Carry out duties for jobs up to and including those in the same grade, provided such duties are within the competence of the employee.
- Promote and adhere to the Values/ethos of the School.
- Carry out all duties in the working conditions normally inherent in the job.
- Complete all necessary administration as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Hold either (A) or (B): NVQ level 2 in food preparation and cooking or City & Guilds 706-1 & 706-2 or equivalent or higher relevant qualification OR Two years experience of food preparation and cooking within a catering establishment
- Evidence of effective supervision or management of a catering team
- Knowledge of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Knowledge of stock control and budget management
- Willingness to undertake job related training
- Evidence in the practical use of Microsoft Word and Excel Experience of delivering training
Work Time: Monday - Friday 8.00am - 3.00pm. Location: St Columbanus' College, Ballymaconnell Road, Bangor, BT20 5PU. A full list of responsibilities, essential and desirable criteria can be found on the Education Authority website. The Education Authority is an equal opportunities employer.
- Vacancy ID
- Job ref.
- Job Sector
- Hotel and Catering
- Co Down
- £11.4935 - £11.7029 per hour
- No. vacancies
- Contract Type
- Weekly hours
- Published date
- Closing date